Business & Marketing
How To Be a Goal-Getter This Year
Posted on January 10, 2023
Have you heard that around 80 percent of all New Year’s resolutions fall flat by February? This is because people make resolutions without creating a plan of action to achieve their goals. At Sola, it’s our mission to help you succeed by giving you the support and tools you need to turn your resolutions into realities.
So this year, don’t just dream about what you want to accomplish, let Sola help you create a plan to get there! Check out these 5 ways to not only be a goal-setter but a goal-getter in 2023 👊
1. Find Your Why: Before going all-out in resolution mode, you need to take a step back and find your "Why." Why did you get started on your career path in the first place? What gets you out of bed in the morning and what keeps you going for it when times get tough?
A good tip is to evaluate and reflect on your current situation. What is your satisfaction level with the way things are right now? Where would you like it to be? From there, you will be much more motivated to set a goal and make a plan.
2. Write it Down: It may sound cliché, but writing down your goals will give you a clearer vision of exactly what you want. Think about it like having a map (#throwback). When you have in front of you exactly where you are trying to go, you're much less likely to get lost than attempting to go off of memory. Having a clear, concise direction laid out will make following your action steps that much easier.
3. Be SMART: A wise person once said, "A goal without a plan is just a dream"... Make your dreams come to life by creating SMART goals: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Time-sensitive.
- Specific: Don’t be vague. How much money do you want to see in your bank account? How many clients do you want in your chair? Lay it all out - exactly how you want things to be.
- Measurable: Quantify (aka associate a number with) your goal.
- Attainable: Be honest with yourself about what you can reasonably accomplish at this point in your life while taking into consideration your current responsibilities. Don't set yourself up to fail. Set yourself up for success!
- Realistic: It’s got to be doable, real, and practical.
- Time: Associate a time frame with each goal. When do want to achieve these goals? Setting mid-way check-ins with yourself to make sure you're on track will help you get there.
Do your 2023 goals pass the SMART test? If so, great! And if not, modify them a bit. Setting goals that do not align with the above can quickly become overwhelming, frustrating, and/or defeating. P.s...Setting smaller goals at first can help you create healthy habits to later set bigger goals 🙌
4. Stay Accountable: Staying on track and holding yourself accountable is often the hardest step of goal-getting. There are a few ways to tackle this:
- Remember your goal, and remember your why! This is when writing down your goals and your why comes in clutch.
- Commit to a schedule. Small steps become steady progress over time.
- Have an accountability partner. Having someone to keep you motivated (maybe your Sola bestie down the hall) will help you reach your milestones.
- Don't forget to celebrate the small wins! This will reinforce a positive mentality.