A day in the life of a salon professional is busy and social. You jump from client to client, throwing energy into your craft and relationships alike, rarely taking time to rest and recuperate. This lifestyle can lead to fatigue and exhaustion; but the next time you go to reach for that 3rd cup of coffee, try these energy boosters to rejuvenate naturally! These 5 simple tricks can work with your body and mind to build and maintain vitality:
- Try acupressure: Use your thumb and forefinger to pinch the “v” muscle between your other thumb and forefinger for two minutes, then repeat on the other side. Use enough pressure to feel soreness and resistance. Stimulating this pressure point will release blockages, moving blood through your body to disperse stagnant energy and revitalize your day.
- Eat every 3 to 4 hours: The best diet to maintain blood sugar and energy levels throughout your day is to eat 3 small meals and 2 snacks. Large meals often bombard your metabolic system, demanding energy for digestion and leaving you feeling sluggish. Mini-meals and snacks keep your metabolism cranking all day long, releasing the energy you need to power through your busy day. Make sure to incorporate carbs, proteins and healthy fats to keep you feeling satisfied and energized.
- Hydrate: We often mistake dehydration for fatigue. Dehydration thickens your blood, which forces your body to work harder to circulate blood and nutrients throughout the body. When properly hydrated, nutrients and energy flow more readily through your body. Bring a water bottle to work drink at least 2 liters of water per day.
- 30 second breathing technique: Sit or stand in a comfortable position and inhale slowly and deeply, filling your belly. Exhale for 2 counts. Inhale slowly and exhale for 3 counts. Inhale slowly and exhale for 4 counts. Inhale slowly and exhale for 5 counts. This technique boosts blood oxygen and circulation, energizing your body and mind.
- Pop a multivitamin: Even the most nutritious eaters can miss vital nutrients in their diets. A good multivitamin can ensure your body is getting the nutrients it needs to maintain energy levels. Look for daily multivitamins made from whole foods, because your body will more readily recognize and absorb the nutrients. Also look for high levels of B-vitamins, which help your body to better convert food into energy.