Posted on July 9, 2014
When a regular client suddenly disappears from your schedule, you can’t help but wonder if they have given up investing in their beauty regime or if they made a switch to a different practitioner. It’s a bummer, but the truth is...most likely when someone leaves us, they are switching to someone new. My years of experience in this industry have taught me that clients will very rarely give up what is considered a low cost luxury investment (eyebrow waxing, haircuts and colors, facials, spray tans, blowouts, manis, pedis and massages).
Have you ever heard these words from a regular client who has disappeared? “Sorry, you haven’t seen me for awhile because I have been cheating on you.” I have and I have noticed this will tend to show up in my biz when I am not implementing a few crucial things. So let’s talk about why a client might switch or “cheat”…
1. Your energy.
Fact: Clients invest in our services to look and feel better. Energy is contagious. Be sure you’re not packing your outside life baggage and bringing it to work with you. Many people can and will pick up this vibe and they will leave your workspace feeling a bit “off”. Before you step through the door, take a deep breath and remind yourself of how much you honor those who support your beauty biz.
2. Your scheduling flexibility.
Fact: The more appointment times you have available, the more you can serve and build a loyal clientele.
• Do you feel out of time or overwhelmed?
• Are you completely out of energy when that last client of the day arrives?
• Do you have a limited schedule due to other life obligations (kids for example)?
• Is your workspace often unoccupied and you feel like it could be better utilized?
If you answered “yes” to any of the above, it might mean it’s time to grow and find someone to assist you. I remember feeling all of these things and consequently resisted bringing on a helper. I feared having to pay someone, sharing my clients, and being a “boss”.
When I finally let go of the fear-based thought processes and instead stepped out of my comfort zone and started interviewing, it was actually fun and exciting. The end result was… it allowed me to become more flexible, grow my business and create longer-lasting relationships with my clients. You can’t do and be everything to everyone, but you can find support that will allow you to serve your clients so deeply that they won’t even consider going elsewhere. There are 24 hours in a day… we are all given this gift. How you use them can play a huge part in maintaining a loyal clientele.
3. How you show up and follow up.
• Are you running on time for your clients? Being on time respects their time and makes you look rock star professional.
• Are you pre-calling new clients to create a bond before they even meet you? Most service providers overlook this key business building opportunity. When you tell a newbie how to find you, where to park, what studio number you’re in you reduce your no shows and late runners. This plays a key role in the creation of building a loyal client.
• Are you calling/texting new clients or existing clients who are brave enough to try something new with you a few days after their appointment to see if they are happy with what you provided?
• Are you sending a heart-felt handwritten thank you note to let them know you truly appreciate their business?
• Are you creating a consistent marketing message to remind them that you are open for biz? If you answered “no” to any of the above it’s time to turn your “I shoulds” into “I musts”. Bottom line… Maya Angelou said it best: "People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
Guest blogger Lori Crete is a licensed esthetician and spa owner with 13 years of experience in the field of esthetics. She is the founder and president of The Spa 10, Beauty Biz Abundance Coaching Services and The Esthetician Success Master Class Retreat, a sold out 2-day event designed to create community and guidance for Beauty Biz Practitioners around the nation. Lori is the author of The Six-Figure Esthetician System and is also a business coach and mentor who has helped thousands of estheticians achieve success by providing support and teaching the skills, strategies and systems needed to build a lucrative practice. She can be reached at Lori@theestheticianmentor.com.